Monday, August 02, 2004

Watch your leg, someone might hump it...

Today's title is a lyric from the RHCP's song, 'Apache Rose Peacock'. Now what does that have to do with anything, you might asking? Well, settle in dear friend, and I might rant at you.

You see, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, like so few other successful bands out there, have been making music long before the advent of computers. "But what's wrong with computers?" Well... nothing, actually. The problem is is that so many musicians out there are use computers in their studio to tweak their instruments to sound the best, and then when they take to the stage... they suck. And I'm not just talking like Hooverphonic sucking (cause they are really good, actually), I'm talking holy-hoover-batman sucking. These so called musicians can barely operate their instruments, let alone rock my socks off.

So what sparked my rant? A couple things.
  1. A friend
  2. A MMM interview with Prince
  3. Red Hot Chili Peppers' CD 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'


So I was chatting with my friend about music a few months ago, and he remarked that he greatly preferred a band that sounds better in the studio than on stage. I asked him why. He said that all of his favorite bands suck live. I quietly thought to myself, "That's because they are all gangsta and rocker wannabes." I didn't say it aloud though (obviously).

Last night, I was watching an performance and interview with Prince on Much More Music. Ok, before the Prince jokes start flying, I have to say that I really like Funk. And Musicology is funky. So one of the questions asked was what Prince thought of the current state of music. [FYI, in case you don't know, he has been in a legal battle with his old label due to their love for formulaic pop (or something to that effect).] Prince retorted that with the Internet, such as it is, the real musicians are able to create, record, and distribute all from their basement. And as such, all the crappy musicians should go away, right along with the outdated record labels. I honestly couldn't agree more. And right after he finished that, he pointed to his band's set up, and said, "These guys are the real thing." And they didn't suck, either.

I was first introduced to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' disc at summer camp in 1993. Almost two years after it had debuted, it was still on everyone's CD player. Two years after it had debuted, it was still getting heavy radio play. Many years after it's debut, the RHCP were the special guests on The Simpsons. If that isn't a testiment to their awesomeness, (don't you even dare mentioning N'Sync on the Simpsons) I don't know what is. But what of the RHCP now? Well, yeah, their new stuff kinda sucks... but it doesn't wholly suck. 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' was definitely the pinnacle of those four players' recording career, and I doubt anything else they create will be as good. But damned if some of their new stuff doesn't rock.

There is a lyric on Jurassic 5's disc 'Power in Numbers' that states, "How many times I gotta hear some fanatic in my ear / Tellin me to keep it real when they ain’t payin my bills / Or feeding my kids". Well, unfortunately Mr. Akil, if you aren't keeping it real, then the next guy will be. And unfortunately, Mr. Akil, your 'street cred' won't carry you much further, unless you get back to keeping it real. (side note: J5 keep it real)

So what does my friend, Prince, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Jurassic 5 have in common? Well, they were all featured in this rant. But besides that? They are all variations on the current state of the recording industry. None better or worse than each other... just simple variations. Keep it real, y'all.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it real! Jay to tha Zaaay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home