Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Idiots on the Election Trail

While driving towards the University on November 30th, 2005, I found myself foaming at the mouth, windows rolled down, screaming at the driver in the gold Saturn on my right. No, I hadn’t just been cut off. I had just witnessed one of the greatest atrocities I had thought was a California only phenomenon. The equation of the Conservative leader to Hitler. Yes, the sign in the rear window, obstructing the view of the driver no doubt, read “Harper = Hitler”.

Well, if Harper is Hitler, then Martin is Mussolini, Layton is Ludendorff, and Duceppe is Drexler. Wow, Ad Hominem Abusive can be fun!

Before you are blinded by the fact that by being disgusted at the fact that equating Harper to Hitler means that I am a staunch Canadian conservative, I need to tell you that I am not. In fact, when the Canadian Reform Alliance Party was formed, I died a little inside. I was quite happy with my Fiscally Conservative, Socially Responsible conservatives under Joe Clark. Then again, there is no point crying over spilled milk. And don't you think for one minute I'm voting Liberal. Uch... Canadian Libertarian, maybe.

So what’s the real issue here? First and foremost, the equation of any modern day political candidate to arguably the most criminally evil person in modern history is despicable at best. Secondly, the use of Ad Hominem Abusive to communicate your political message is about as respectable as calling someone a “poopyhead” on the playground. Arguments should be based on fact, not the fact that you see someone as a genocidal maniac. Finally, we should all be ashamed that we have allowed the political climate to get to this level. When it has become socially acceptable to maliciously libel others, we are a sorry lot indeed.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Daniel said...

I agree completely. Libel is too common. Policy should be the core of the debate. I don't know who i'll vote for, but none of these candidates are evil.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Adam Vindizzle forshizzle said...

What coincidence! I visit your site for the first time in a few months, you post your first blog in a few months, and I poop my pants for the first time in a few months!
You're like the Jonah Mozeson of the Calgary internet world. By this I am referring to his "Hitler comic in bad taste" article from the U of A Gateway. The issue never seems to get old, DOES IT? Seems like every year someone feels compelled to draw a comparison.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home